After getting to sleep in a bit on Sunday morning, the parents ditched me and the little ones and headed off to their oldest daughter's high school graduation. 8 hours of "being thrown to the wolves" (as A said) - what a way to get to know the kids you'll be spending the summer with! It all went well though - they are very active kids and will definitely be keeping me on my toes this summer! T, the little girl, is 7 and in 2nd grade. She is very artistic and creative, and always likes to be busy doing something. R, the little boy, is 6 and in kindergarten. He is crazy energetic and talkative, and teeny tiny (the kid hardly eats anything). They were great tour guides, showing me around the house and all their toys, but once they had showed me everything at home they wanted to take me to Rattlesnake Mountain...so we went on a 2 hour hike to the top of the mountain and back!
Stories and updates on my summer in Belgrade Lakes, Maine, as a nanny for the Camp Runoia director's children.
Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Whirlwind
Well...I MADE IT TO MAINE! After 12 long hours of travel on Saturday, including a 3 hour layover + an hour of delays in Chicago, I finally arrived in Portland, ME around midnight. A, the mom, met me at the airport, and we got to their house around 1am. Since the kids are still in school this week, we won't be moving to the camp until this weekend, which means I'm crashing in T's bedroom where I found a lovely welcome sign and balloon to greet me when I arrived. :)
I'm pretty sure R, the little boy, never stopped talking the entire day - man can that kid chat! Anyway, since Sunday there hasn't been too much excitement around here since the kids are in school all day yet (from so many snow days this winter). Yesterday A and I went to Portland (about 45 min away) to stock up on some grocery items for the camp house, and to pick up another girl at the bus station. Since I didn't get to see much on the drive back from the airport, it was nice to get to see the area a little bit, and to visit Portland (which is the biggest city in Maine, but it's about the size of Sioux City). The house is crazy busy with different camp staff coming this week, which meant I had to share "my" room with another girl last night - thank goodness for bunk beds! It's a dreary rainy day here today, which means no visiting the camp as previously planned, but it sounds like Saturday we are moving up to Camp Runoia in Belgrade Lakes. I'm definitely ready to head to camp and get settled there for the rest of the summer! I'll give an update again once we head to camp!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment